Personally, I’m a big fan of having nuts for a snack. It provides that saltiness, but not all of the carbohydrates and saturated fat of chips or other typical snack foods. I’ve always heard that almonds were healthy for you, but I never realized how healthy until I started doing a little research. They are high in protein, healthy fats, vitamins and minerals, and they are considered one of my most nutritious nuts. The almond that we think of as a nut is technically the seed of the fruit of the almond tree, a medium-size tree that bears fragrant pink and white flowers. Like its cousins, the peach, cherry and apricot trees, it bears fruits with stone-like seeds (or pits) within. The seed of the almond fruit is what we refer to as the almond nut. The almond is one of the healthiest snack foods you can eat. Its health benefits are wide and varied. Below are some of the health benefits that almonds have:
- Helps heart health: A study showed those who consumed almonds five times a week had a 50% reduction in risk of heart attack. They have large amounts of vitamin E that acts as an antioxidant and reduces the risk of heart diseases. Almonds also help reduce C-reactive protein (CRP) which causes artery-damaging inflammation.
- Reduces bad cholesterol: Almonds are a good source of monounsaturated fats and some polyunsaturated fats which help to lower the low-density lipoprotein (LDL or “bad” cholesterol). A handful every day can lower your bad cholesterol level by 8 to 12 percent.
- Improves blood circulation: Almonds are high in potassium and low in sodium, both are factors that regulate blood pressure. The high level of magnesium in almonds has a very positive effect on our arteries and veins and helps to improve the overall flow of nutrients through our bodies. It also contains iron, which helps carry oxygen to all of the body’s cells and organs.
- Good source of Protein: Almonds provide one of the best plant sources of protein. They provide high quality and highly absorbable protein. A quarter-cup (containing around 30 nuts) contains around 7.6 grams of protein.
- Strengthens the bones: Almonds are a good source of calcium which prevents osteoporosis and strengthens the bones, teeth and muscles. It also provides other nutrients that help to increase the bone mineral density, which helps to strengthen the skeletal system.
- Good for brain power: The almond is a source of many nutrients which helps in development of the brain development. I’ve heard it recommended having 5 almonds in the morning everyday for maximum brainpower. They contain phenylalanine, a brain-boosting chemical, which aids in healthy development of our cognitive functions.
- Helps you lose weight: Almonds have high fiber content, protein and the good type of fat which satisfies your appetite very soon therefore you are less likely to have cravings and overeat. Studies have revealed that almond rich low calorie diet is good for obese people to assist in shedding their weight.
- Good for diabetic people: They are a low glycemic index (GI) food. When eaten with a high GI food, it helps in reducing the rise in sugar and insulin levels after meals.
- Reduces the risk of Cancer: Being high in natural fiber, it improves the movement of food through the colon, thereby preventing colon cancer. Almonds are an excellent source of vitamin E, phytochemicals and flavonoids which suppress the growth of cancer cells. It is also rich source of boron which helps to prevent prostate cancer.
- Prevents Gallstones: People eating at least 5 almonds a day have a 25% lower risk of developing gallstones, a study confirms. Almond oil also possesses laxative properties and helps to produce soft stools and avoid any constipation.
- Good for skin: An almond face pack prevents dry skin, pimples and black heads and is a good long term cure for acne. It also improves skin complexion and premature aging. It nourishes the skin making it smooth and soft.
- Energy booster: Nutrients present in almonds like Protein, Manganese, Copper & Riboflavin are all used to generate energy in our body.
So you can see, almonds are a nutritious snack that will have a positive effect on your overall health. So Go Nuts on Almonds!!!!